Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Random Thought Thursday: Avatar The Last Airbender

Ok so I have a bit of a confession to make. I am a nerd, and a rather large nerd at that. And I must say that I am totally fine with that! With that being said I am going to nerd out for a moment and talk about one of my favorite series EVER.
Unfortunately not many people are aware of it as it was run on Nickelodeon from 2005-2008 as a "kids show" Let me say this now. This. Was. Never. A. Kids. Show.
If you haven't figured it out yet (or didn't read the title of this random thought) I'm talking about Avatar the Last Airbender. It's a show that my little brother and I watched when it was on Nick and something my boyfriend and I just re-watched (as he had never seen it before). Avatar follows the last airbender named Aang and his friends Katara, Sokka and Toph as he learns to master all four elements (water, earth, fire and air). The avatar is the only one who can master all four elements to stop a 100 year long war between the Fire nation and the other three nations. 
The show had something amazing for it's time, it boasted some wonderful voice actors, an amazing score, beautifully drawn animation, a wonderful sense of humor, a sense of right and wrong, and what it means to follow and fulfill your destiny. 
Those of you who thought it was a little kids show (or were unfortunate enough to see the 'live movie version') you're in luck! Nick recently introduced a sequel to the original series called: The Legend of Korra. Korra is a young waterbender who is the next incarnation of the late Aang. It is like it's predecessor a wonderful story that lets you see just where our original heros ended up!
In addition to the TV shows there are graphic novels out as well called "Avatar the Last Airbender: The Promise" as of right now volume one and two are out, with a third coming this September. Keep in mind these are about what took place after the end of the final episode of the original series, but are NOT written by the same writers, as such certain characters come across... well a little different. There are also rumors of an additional story to come out called "The Search" where we finally learn about Zuko's mother :D

Ok I think that's enough nerding for now, hopefully I haven't scared you all away :P I have created Avatar brushes that I will be uploading to DeviantArt as soon as I figure out how to do that :) I will add the link to those here when I have a link!
I will be posting a small quilt in a few days that I made for someone very special. As well as some new knitting projects :D
Here are some more random Avatar pictures in case you found this ramble intriguing! 

Until next time Yip-Yip


1 comment:

  1. Epic show and your right it defently wasn't a kid show. Some of the themes were just to... dark.

    ReplyDelete