Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

RTT: Halo and being a Girl Gamer



Ok I know what you're thinking. I'm a crafter, a knitter, seamstress and otherwise all around crafty gal, and this picture really has nothing to do with ANY of that. But the truth of the matter is that along with my craftyness I am also a gamer, and I don't just mean Farmville. 


I have worked various retail jobs over my life, and two of my favorites were GameStop and Best Buy, not just for the discounts mind you, it was fun to break down the gender barrier that is put up around gamers. I was one of two girls at GameStop and the only girl in my department at Best Buy! I always love when someone would ask me a question with a look of annoyance that they couldn't ask a guy only to find out I actually knew more than they did about a game! Over the years we have managed to collect every system in my house (except a PS2... never got one of those :'( oh well) a Wii, Xbox360, PS3, DS's (I have one, my brother has one, both my parents have them, even my boyfriend has one!) 3DS, PSP, Gamecube (somewhere...) even the original Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advances (flip top kind and the flat one!) and my original love my PSone. We even have a colecovision in the basement! You remember... this thing: 


But the cold truth is most people don't think that girls can be gamers. Most people think that a girl gamer only plays Facebook games or Sims. Now I do both of those things (I adore my Sims 3 games and wouldn't give them up for the world!!) But if you look at my gaming library you'd probably be surprised at what you would find.


Which i why I thought I would make this clear: Girls. Can. Kick. Ass. To!! Now I won't claim that I'm fantastic at FPS (yes I know all those terms :P) but I have no issue with grabbing a controller and shooting up a bunch of baddies. And while my boyfriend will tell you I'm "great" at COD I do get lost when he starts telling me things in actual army terms- I often have to remind him that I am not one of his National Guard buddies and he needs to tell me plain and simple English if he wants me to blow up something, but the point, I digress is that it's FUN to play these sorts of games and it's a challenge when you play against other people. 


Lately my brother and I have been playing a ton of Halo and I have even found myself asking him if we can go play. Don't get me wrong COD is cool, but I really enjoy the Halo games, maybe it's the weapons, a mix of things that you recognize and crazy alien gadgets, or maybe it's the enemies but I find the game fun and challenging! 


So I guess this is my random thought for the day: 
Girl gamers, do you find the same sort of stereotypes that I have? What sort of games are you playing? 
And guys: I guess I'd love to know what you think of a girl who actually enjoys video games, (please not just "she's hot"... we know you like when we play your favorite game) 
Also what is everyones favorite system? I always like hearing why someone likes one system more than another :P I personally love my DS/3DS and the PS3 (yay free online play!!)


Anyway that's my thought. Hope you enjoyed it :) 
I'm going to be opening up my Etsy shop this weekend I hope, it will be the same name as the blog "The Butterflies Attic" I just have to add my items and then I'll post a link to it here!!
Thanks for reading
~Megan~

2 comments:

  1. My fav system is ps3. And your hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I love you... you don't say what you think of me playing these games with you just that I'm hot lmao. Oh you... and to answer the text that you sent me while you were reading this (should have posted that here lol) We do have a colecovision in the basement, and I don't know why we haven't ever played it! I used to play The Smurfs game on there ALLL the time :* Love you turtle.

      Delete