Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

RTT: Music

Everyone has a favorite song, and it's likely to change as you get older but certain songs speak to you more so than others. I for instance love songs that have a story to them, growing up my dad used to have a lot of MeatLoaf playing in the house, and I could sing all of "I would do anything for love; but I won't do that" as well as ALL of his other songs. Harry Chaplin is another one of those story telling artists, "Cats in the Cradle", even "30,000 pounds of Bananas".
My mom taught me to love good music behind the lyrics. My mom is a dance teacher, and she has been my teacher for over 20 years, and with her I learned to love rhythm and a solid beat.

Stick with me, here's the point to my rambling:
So when the two come together (that is amazing lyrics and a great beat) I tend to love the song and play it on repeat until everyone is annoyed to hear the song. As such I tend to analyze the lyrics. I figured for my random thought thursday I would share some of the lyrics that I still stop and think about whenever I hear them because they can mean SO many things:

Ok I have to put this one on here. As it is one of my favorite songs, but has a few strange lines:
Give me a second I 
I need to get my story straight 
My friends are in the bathroom 
Getting higher than the Empire State 
My lover she's waiting for me 
Just across the bar 
My seats been taken by some sunglasses 
Asking 'bout a scar 
Ok, so... I'm sure you've all heard it, I'm sure you all have your own thoughts, but whenever I hear the highlighted part I always thought it sounded like the guy in the song was coming back from the bathroom to see his girl sitting with some creep who was wearing sunglasses (I always thought he was probably really drunk and the light was bothering him... yeah these are the things I think lol) who was talking to her about some scar he has, you know the whole "see I got this when my motorcycle flipped, but the good news is I was able to save that family of puppies" you know some far fetched made up story. It wasn't until the other day that it came on in the car that my brother said "this is such a horrible song, don't you realize what he's saying" evidently lots of people think the girl is being interviewed by a cop (the sunglasses) and he's asking her about a scar that her boyfriend, the singer, gave to her. I sat there and listened and, horrors, it could be perceived that way as well!! Yet, to me the song is about loosing innocence, the night is young, 'we can burn brighter than the sun'... I don't know about you, but to me it always sounded like the boyfriend was being a douche, and now he doesn't know how to make it up to the girl he loves, the girl he thinks he's going to lose because he can't apologize the right way... Maybe I'm naive in this thought, but I like it better than the other option :P

I love Viva La Vida by Coldplay and I love the discussions people have about the lyrics... The whole thing could be analyzed but here's just a snippit:
It was the wicked and wild windBlew down the doors to let me inShattered windows and the sound of drumsPeople couldn't believe what I'd become
Revolutionaries waitFor my head on a silver plateJust a puppet on a lonely stringOh who would ever want to be king?
This is one of those songs that I love to read about online, people talk about how the song is about the bible, the fact that Jesus rose and gathered followers (whom they claim are talked about in earlier lyrics) only to end up being shunned and killed. Others, think it talks about the conquest of countries, specifically King Henry XVI, who committed treason and was eventually beheaded, (see the lines highlighted above ;D) If you want to read some of the most well written arguments about this song click here

This is a new favorite of mine
Alright, everything is alright
Since you came along
And before you
I had nowhere to run to
Nothing to hold on to
I came so close to giving it up.
And I wonder if you know
How it feels to let you go?

You say goodbye in the pouring rain
And I break down as you walk away.
Stay, stay.
'Cause all my life I've felt this way
But I could never find the words to say
Stay, stay.


So change your mind
And say you're mine.
Don't leave tonight
Stay.

this song is simply about love, gained and lost. But the real thing I like about this song and it's lyrics, it doesn't say why the person is walking away, or why the other person can't find the right words to tell them to stay... what if they were best friends, and one secretly loves the other, what if it's two people who were once in love, but something changed between them, yet neither really wants to let go. Or did someone pass away and another someone never told them how they really felt?! *sigh* I love this song lol

The best thing about all of these songs that I mention is that their music videos are all exceptionally vague (or strange....) and don't give you any more of a clue as to what these lyrics mean. They leave it up to you to decide for yourself, and that to me, is the real power of a song.

Thanks for reading!! Have a song that you always analyze leave a comment below and tell me about it! Tomorrow is adventures with Harriet don't miss it!! :D
~Megan~

No comments:

Post a Comment